Ring, Ring! Who's that callin'? It's your breadboard! Introducing Adafruit FONA MiniGSM, an adorable all-in-one cellular phone module that lets you add voice, text, SMS and data to your project in an adorable little package.
This module measures only 1.75"x1.25" but packs a surprising amount of technology into its little frame. At the heart is a GSM cellular module (we use the latest SIM800) the size of a postage stamp. This module can do just about everything.
- Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz - connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM
- Make and receive voice calls using a headset OR an external 8O speaker + electret microphone
- Send and receive SMS messages
- Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
- Scan and receive FM radio broadcasts (yeah, we don't exactly know why this was included but it works really well)
- PWM/Buzzer vibrational motor control
- AT command interface with "auto baud" detection
Sounds delicious, right? So we plated this fine module onto a little breakout with all the extras you need to make your next project shine:
- Onboard LiPoly battery charging circuitry so you can take your project on the go. Use any 1200mAh+ LiPoly or LiIon battery and recharge over the MicroUSB when necessary. Two LEDs let you know when its charging and done
- Standard 4-pole TRRS headphone jack. Use any 'Android' or 'iPhone'-compatible headset with mic
- Breakouts for external 8O speaker and electret mic if you don't want to use a headphone
- Level shifting circuitry so you can run it with 2.8V to 5V logic.
- Vibrational motor (buzzer) driver so you can have noiseless notifications
- uFL connections for external antenna
- Indicator LEDs for power and network connectivity
- Standard SIM slides into the back
On its own, this module can't do anything. It requires a microcontroller to drive it! We suggest and use an Arduino but any 3-5V microcontroller with a UART can send and receive commands over the RX/TX pins.
You will also need some required accessories to make FONA work. These are not included!
- Li-Poly Battery - 1200mAh or larger! This 1200mAh battery, or this 2000mAh will work great.
- MicroUSB cable for charging the battery.
- External Antenna - This straight SMA one but you'll also need a uFL to SMA adapter cable so you can connect to your SMA antenna
There's also some recommended accessories. They are not required but chances are you'll want them!
- Dimensions w/Components: 45mm x 34mm x 8mm / 1.8" x 1.3" x 0.3"
- Dimensions of PCB: 45mm x 32mm x 2mm / 1.8" x 1.3" x .1"
- Weight: 9.0g
- As of December 22, 2015 we have replaced the SIM800L module with SIM800H which is backward compatible. Note that this board design does not have a bluetooth antenna on it so you cannot use the BT capabilities of the SIM800H
- As of December 27, 2016 we are selling a new firmware revision of the module. The library is backwards compatible but we notice that the speaker output is a little quieter.